COVID-19 update: organisation academic year 2020-2021
  • For the organisation of classes during academic year 2020-2021, the ICP master in Sustainable Development follow the general guidelines of the university. We will offer as much on-campus education as possible, while always taking into account the latest safety measures. We plan to increase on-campus activity if the virus is not circulating heavily and if safety allows for it, and we will reduce it again as soon as the epidemic flares up and greater caution is required. This forms the foundation for the 2020-21 academic year. More information can be found here: https://www.kuleuven.be/coronavirus/english/FAQ#ED-classes-next-year
  • This means that your presence in Leuven is required to start the program. We will, however, attempt to facilitate late arrivals up to two weeks after the start of the academic year.
  • Our program does not allow to postpone your admission to the second semester.  Several courses in this program apply very strict prerequisite requirements and a delayed start interferes with the logical flow of the program.
  • If you don’t manage to reach Leuven in time for the start of the academic year, you can defer your admission with one year. More information can be found here: https://www.kuleuven.be/english/application/admission-deferral-corona
My country is not on the VLIR list. Are there alternative scholarship opportunities ?
The program offers 12 scholarships for excellent candidates from eligible countries. Unfortunately these are the only scholarship the program has to offer.  For an overview of other scholarship opportunities you can visit the international page of the KU Leuven: https://www.kuleuven.be/english/international/funding/home
I followed my bachelor in English. Does this mean I’m exempted from the language tests ?
Unfortunately only degree holders from specific countries are exempted from a language test. These countries are Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom or the USA. All other applications should pass the TOEFL or IELTS test, regardless whether or not they obtained a degree taught in English.
I have a bachelor degree that is not mentioned in the admission requirements, can I still follow the program ?
Under “Apply-admission” we listed some preferred degrees. However, this is a multidisciplinary program and diversity is one of our biggest assets. Therefore we also welcome students with less conventional backgrounds.  Admission will then depend on your motivation, possible professional experience and future careers plans as well as on our assessment of your capacity to process new knowledge.

If you are not sure about your eligibility you can contact the program staff through the contact page on this website.

I am a working student. Are there facilities to take the course part time ?
Yes, this program can be followed on a part time basis. Through a credit contract, you can enroll for one or more separate courses. More information can be found on the KU Leuven registration website: https://soc.kuleuven.be/fsw/studentenportaal/english/information/creditcontract
I don’t have a scholarship, do I have to pay for the fieldtrip myself ?
Belgian students can apply at VLIR UOS for a scholarship to cover part of the fieldwork costs.  For self-financing foreign students, there is a small financial support to cover some of the expenses of the fieldtrip. The organizing staff will make an effort to reduce the costs as much as possible but students should be prepared to cover part of the trip themselves.